Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Personal thoughts from Michelle Gordon

To date I have posted on this blog information that has been PR worthy. However, a true blog is a web journal, where personal thoughts and ideas are shared. Google thinks of them to be more reliable source of information, as they contain a 2 way conversation and are constantly updated VS a website that may be updated once a year, and no access to a 2 way conversation. So feel free to post your comments………PLEASE!

So here it goes, I am posting my personal feelings about this project. However I will admit to using spell check, I am not going totally free of help!

Yes personal feelings…………….as this project is very personal to me. When I decided to do this project the summer of 2007, I had no idea the effect it would have on me. I thought, I had a good idea the effect it would have on the new home owners. However, they blew me away as well.

The home owners already had a sense of accomplishment as they just purchased a home which they worked very hard to get themselves in a position to do so. However, they were amazed that someone would donate time and money to them. Jason at signature did not even know them and he was donating his time and money. They cried when the truck of materials came down the street and so did I! So I cried 3 times that day, with each home owner!

One home we did was in a neighborhood where the other homes were kept up well, the neighbors were thrilled to see the yard transformed. Another yard we landscaped, the houses that surrounded that home had trash in the yards and toys left out…….. When I went back to visit, the yards were cleaned up……..they had removed the trash, mowed the lawn and put in a few plants of their own!

The new owners were thrilled, they did not just buy a house, they bought a home they were eager to come home to. When people are proud of them selves, they become a better person internally. They become better employees, better spouses, and better parents and on time bill payers as they want to keep this home. Some say we are a product of environment. By creating this community project we have just created an environment that believes in it takes a town to raise a family.

So when people ask me why, or say this is very good cause but what is in it for me……..It is hard to respond in such a short answer. I LOVE Grand Rapids! I do not want our community to be a statistic in this market. I want us to remember the 1950’s where we all helped our neighbors. We are all affected some how by this market. By keeping up our neighborhoods and holding on tight to the value of our homes, I think we can team up to make a positive difference.

WE being the key word here, WCR and ICCF can not do this with out you……….YOU as an individual or YOU as a company owner/manager………..Lets get with the FLOW and donate!

1 comment:

mysrk said...

Michelle,

Your awesome! I can't wait to see the trucks rolling toward our FLOW homes!